Posts Tagged ‘Cupboard’
Sat. 8 June 2013. Day trip by car to Crickhowell Castle and Tretower Court.
Meet at Crickhowell Castle at 10.30 am.
Directions: Park in the town and Walk to the Castle. Opposite Crickhowell Resource and Information Centre in the centre of the town is a pay and display car park.
The Castle began life as a mote and bailey, probably built by the Turberville family in the 12th century. In 1272 it was rebuilt in stone, by Sir Grimbald Pauncefote, who married Sybil, a Turberville heiress. During the 14th century the castle was in Mortimer hands but in 1402 it was restored to Sir John Pauncefote, great-grandson of Sir Grimbald. However, Owain Glyndwyr’s forces left it in ruins. Later in the century it was granted to Sir William Herbert, who became the Earl of Pembroke. The keep was uninhabitable by the mid-16th century.
Lunch in Crickhowell
Tretower Castle, Court and Garden. Arrive at at 2pm.
Directions: Signposted in Tretower village, off A479 5km/3mls North West of Crickhowell. Park in the Car park. Tretower Court is a medieval fortified manor house. The cost is £4.75, but free to Cadw members. Mrs Val Williams will give us a tour of the reconstructed medieval gardens and the cost will be £2.00 a head. She can only take groups of 20 and so we might have to split into two. Those not viewing the gardens can look at Tretower Court and the Castle in the interim.